Zourkhaneh Experience in Tehran
Like to see how ancient Iranians worked out in a gym before the age of treadmills, loud upbeat music, and modern athletic equipment? Then a Zourkhaneh (ancient Iranian athletic club) in Tehran is the right place for you. As the center of Iranian heroism, spirituality, and physical strength, a Zourkhaneh will bring you closer to Persian culture, literature and myth. On this unique tour, you’ll lend your ears to the spiritual music of the place and watch a performance of the Pahlevani rituals (intangible UNESCO heritage as the longest-running form of heroic training). Using the cool equipment, copying the performance, and posing as a tough ancient hero will also be the fun and unforgettable slices of this distinctive tour (if possible).
What you’ll Experience:
- Observing Zourkhaneh rituals and courtesies
- Watching traditional sportive performances
- Learning about Zourkhaneh equipment and how to use them
- Listening to Zourkhaneh music and songs of epic, legend and spirituality
- Maybe stepping into the Gowd (the exercise area) and experiencing the traditional heroic exercise